10 things to do in Skipton: A Guide for First-Time Visitors
8th April 2023
Skipton is a beautiful market town located in North Yorkshire, England. It is a popular destination for visitors who are seeking to explore the natural beauty of the Yorkshire Dales. Skipton is known for its medieval castle, scenic canal walks, and bustling high street. If you are planning your first trip to Skipton, here are ten things that you should definitely do:
- Explore Skipton Castle: Skipton Castle is one of the most popular attractions in the town. It is a medieval castle that dates back to the 12th century. The castle is well-preserved, and visitors can explore the Great Hall, the kitchen, and the dungeons.
- Take a walk along the Leeds-Liverpool Canal: The Leeds-Liverpool Canal runs through Skipton, and it is a great place to take a walk. You can enjoy the peaceful surroundings, watch the canal boats go by, and see the wildlife that lives along the canal.
- Visit the Skipton Market: Skipton Market is a must-visit for anyone who loves shopping. The market is held four days a week, and it sells everything from fresh produce to handmade crafts.
- Take a trip on the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway: The Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway is a heritage railway that runs between Embsay and Bolton Abbey. It is a great way to see the beautiful countryside around Skipton.
- Walk up to Skipton Woods: Skipton Woods is a beautiful woodland area that is located just a short walk from the town centre. It is a great place to take a walk and enjoy the natural beauty of the area.
- Visit the Craven Museum and Gallery: The Craven Museum and Gallery is a small museum that is located in Skipton Town Hall. It has a collection of local artefacts, as well as art exhibitions.
- Take a boat trip on the Leeds-Liverpool Canal: If you want to see the canal from a different perspective, you can take a boat trip. There are several companies that offer canal boat trips from Skipton.
- Walk up to Skipton Castle Woods: Skipton Castle Woods is a beautiful woodland area that is located just behind Skipton Castle. It is a great place to take a walk and enjoy the natural beauty of the area.
- Visit the Skipton Waterway Festival: The Skipton Waterway Festival is held every year in May. It is a great event that celebrates the town’s canal heritage. There are boat trips, music, and food stalls.
- Take a walk along the High Street: Skipton’s high street is a bustling area that is full of shops, cafes, and restaurants. It is a great place to take a walk and soak up the atmosphere of the town.
In conclusion, Skipton is a great destination for anyone who loves history, nature, and shopping. There are plenty of things to see and do in the town, and these ten activities are a great place to start. Whether you are visiting Skipton for a day or a week, you are sure to have a great time.