It’s raining cats and dogs!
13th March 2023
If you find yourself in Skipton during a week of rain, don’t worry, there are still plenty of activities and attractions to enjoy indoors. Here are some ideas:
- Visit Skipton Castle: Skipton Castle is one of the most complete and best-preserved medieval castles in England. It offers visitors an insight into the history of the town and the castle’s role in the region’s turbulent past.
- Explore the Craven Museum and Gallery: The museum houses a fascinating collection of local artifacts, including objects related to the town’s rich history, archaeology, and natural history.
- Go shopping in the town centre: Skipton’s bustling town centre is home to a variety of independent shops, cafes, and restaurants. Explore the Craven Court Shopping Centre which is all undercover and can be found in the alley between Samuels Jewellers and Fatface Clothing store.
- Take a canal boat trip: Skipton is the gateway to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, which passes through some of the most beautiful countryside in the north of England. Even on a rainy day, a canal boat trip can be an enjoyable experience.
- Visit the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway: The Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway is a heritage railway that operates vintage steam trains between Embsay station and Bolton Abbey. The trains run through some stunning countryside, making it a great way to enjoy the scenery even in the rain.
- Go to the cinema: Skipton’s Plaza cinema shows the latest releases. It’s a great way to stay dry and catch up on some films.
- Visit a local pub: Skipton has several traditional pubs where you can relax with a pint of beer or a glass of wine. Many pubs have live music or quiz nights, so it’s worth checking out the local listings.
- Try indoor activities: Skipton has a bowling alley; Matrix Bowling which can be a fun way to stay active and have fun while staying dry.
- Relax in a spa: If the rain is getting you down, why not treat yourself to a spa day? The Skipton area has several spas ( try the Coniston Hotel in Coniston Cold or the Devonshire Arms Hotel in Bolton Abbey) and wellness centres where you can relax and unwind.
- Visit nearby attractions: Skipton is located near the Yorkshire Dales National Park, which has plenty of indoor attractions like museums, art galleries, and historic houses. You could also take a day trip to nearby towns like Harrogate or York.
While rain can put a damper on outdoor activities, there are still plenty of things to do in Skipton even when it’s wet outside.